Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

More wind, end of summer, Hermine, and Labor Day

I had really hoped to put some serious fish in the freezer in the latter part of August.  So, my final August opportunity was the 19th and 20th.  It was also a chance to hopefully show some good fishing to my oldest son and his fiancé, whom I had taken out back in late June and gotten skunked.  Friday 8/19, a bunch of wind and 3 hardhead in the cooler.  Saturday, more wind (although not as bad) and we did put a few more fish in the cooler.  It’s not even worth going into a lot of detail, other than on Saturday it really was a mix of species- with hardhead, spot, kingfish, and sea bass all represented (not to mention my favorites- the skate and toadfish).   So for the weekend, 7 fish in the cooler.  Hardly worth the effort, but at least we did make it over to the tiki bar in Rumbley, which I had not been to all season (I usually sneak in there for a beer at least once a year).


Fast forward to Labor Day weekend.  So, if you have been reading this blog you probably know that Labor Day is the biggest weekend of the year on Deal Island.  A Homecoming of sorts, culminating in the Skipjack Races on Monday.  I’ve been enjoying this weekend down there since I was a teenager.  There are bands to be heard on Saturday and Sunday, and also a parade on Sunday which begins at the school right next to my camper.  And for most of the last several years I’ve been fortunate enough to ride on a skipjack for the Labor Day race, which I just LOVE LOVE LOVE.  These old dredging vessels are so gorgeous.  Anyway, this particular weekend was in peril from the get-go, as a major tropical storm/minor hurricane named Hermine picked this weekend to emerge from the Gulf of Mexico and shoot up the east coast.  Storms like this really have opportunity to create havoc on a place like Deal Island, where most inhabited property is at best 3 feet above sea level.  Friday, 9/2 I ventured out in my boat in what was supposed to be 12-15 mph winds, ahead of the storm.  Yeah, more like 20-25 mph easily.  Once again, I’m bobbing up and down in my 17 ft center console in 3-4 foot seas, trying to find bottom with 4 oz of weight on my rig.  About 30 minutes of this and I was done, as the wind was not subsiding anytime soon.  Below is a pic of the much calmer sunset.




Later Friday night, the serious wind and rain came in, and Saturday was a sure wash-out.  After jetting back to DE to watch the WVU football game with wife Candy, I returned to the island, and “improving” weather conditions.  By this time, the weekend festivities on the island were in serious jeopardy.  The captain of the Skipjack I had hoped to ride on had cancelled on spectators in the interest of safety, the concessions at the harbor were cancelled for Sat., and it was uncertain if the race would proceed at all.  Sunday morning rolled in and it was still breezy, but sunny and things were looking up.  Took a drive over to the harbor, and Capt Stoney (Skipjack Minnie-V) informed me that everything was a GO.  That meant my annual fish-fry in the yard was on, and I had to start getting food ready for hungry parade watchers.  Got all my fish, soft crabs, and oysters breaded, then fried up just in time for the start of the parade.  Many of the folks in the neighborhood like to stop by and have some fresh local fried seafood (featuring croakers from my summer’s bounty).   After about a 5-minute parade it was all over.  Later, I made contact with Captain Art Benton (Skipjack Helen Virginia) and confirmed that everything was a go for the race and I was going to be able to have a ride.  I appreciate these Skipjack captains so much for welcoming a non-Islander (ok so I’ve got one foot on the island) to be part of this annual celebration.  Check out the pics below.  We didn’t win or place, but we did make a good show and it was an honor to be aboard this skipjack for the race.  Next Saturday is the Skipjack 5k foot race and I will be giving it my all.












No comments:

Post a Comment