Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Aug 5-6, 2016: Lots of wind = Few fish

Been on the computer far too much at work lately, so I'll make this brief.  As I've explained previously, when I plan on heading down to the camp for a couple of days of fishing, I really have a small window to get it done. And at this time of year, it almost has to coincide with it being late in the day.  As my luck would have it, both of these days had forecast of windy conditions.

Let's start with Friday the 5th.  Blowing 15+ out of the SW.  I managed to catch a total of 6 decent croaker drifting one mile south of buoy 12, on the east side of the channel.  The wind and incoming tide made for a really fast drift.  But not as fast as the southerly wind pushed me on the 6th.  This was ridiculous, and no fish (well except for one) was able to see the bait long enough to get hooked.  I worked it hard too, for 4 hours plus, and moving to several locations off of Wenona.  And of course, the wind was forecasted to increase with approaching dusk, only to actually do the exact opposite. So, I got to watch a nice sunset from a beach, with my toes dipped in calm water.

I had planned to turn it around and go again the following weekend, but forecast is for even windier conditions so that is not looking good.  This summer has been a real challenge at bottom fishing, more so than any in recent memory.  Of course, I'm always dreaming of that next time, when the fishing is sure to be better,....... So until then, here's a bit of video from the last trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment