Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Finally, back on the Bay- Oct 14-15, 2016

After traveling for business 4 out of the last 5 weeks, I couldn't wait to get back on the water.  This time things started with my first attempt at crabbing since spring.  Unfortunately, since it was October I was restricted to electric motor only in the impoundment.  This limits my range, with one battery.  Note to self- bite the bullet and acquire a 2nd battery for next year.  Anyway, gorgeous mid-70s sunny October afternoon.  Water was a little low in the Dames Quarter reservoir, and rather clear.  I was frustrated to watch the crabs swimming past my baits without being very interested.  Crabbing from 1-3:45 yielded about 13 decent crabs.  Maybe next time.

Saturday was magical in Tangier Sound.  Winds out of the west at about 5 mph, I set up two trolling rods and pulled my sassy shads in avg 4-6 ft of water around South Marsh Island.  Started at 11AM on the northeastern side of the island, I was frustrated by grass fouling the lures and no fish.  Things changed suddenly once I rounded the north end of the island and started hugging the massive and highly contoured northern edge of the island.  It was pretty much one rockfish after the other. After 8 total, I called it quits.  Four were keeper eligible(>20 inches), while the other four were 18.5-19.5 inches, very close.  

One noteworthy thing was the boiling mass of baitfish being mauled in 3 ft of water by schools of rock in one of the coves.  Oh how I wish I had my new popping cork rigs which I used a few weeks back in North Carolina (Oriental) to catch this nice 38-inch red drum.  I'll be ready next time. Although, trolling through this feeding frenzy was fruitful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment