Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2014

June 30, back to the creek

O first of all, I am realizing that the summer is ripping by and  I have been remiss at maintaining this blog.  So, somewhere I neglected to update on mid-June and at this point  I cannot recall the details.  So, I will reach back and cover June 30, which I am able to recall.   Briefly, I was down intending to stay most of the week and fish.  My week started on June 30, and with great plans to return to South Marsh, the wind was blowing 25+ knots out of the south and I opted to fish the creek.  I got out there around 4pm armed with squid and shrimp.  And, I managed to put 14 croaker into the cooler, the majority at 11-12 inches, with a couple at 10 and one topping 14. With the extreme south wind and fishing high tide, the tide was really late in rolling back out, a phenomenon I see from time to time.

I returned the next day to catch the same time, also plagued with challenging winds and in addition threatening storms.  Around 4:30 I could see a large anvil cloud forming to the west, which I had the pleasure of staring at for the next 2 hours.  Finally, the accompanying thunder and approaching storm became more than I could safely tolerate and I called it a day.  No fish in the cooler this trip, but I did beat the storm in.  Storms can develop so fast on the Chesapeake in the summertime.

Unfortunately, my week of fishing ended here.  Sometimes there are other things in life that are more important.  Not many, but the ones that are trump everything when they demand your attention.  And I have a feeling that the rest of the season is apt to go this way as well.  But you know what, there will always be opportunities in the future to fish, and the fishing can wait if it needs to.   Did I just say that??

No comments:

Post a Comment