Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

Friday June 6 2014- A near perfect evening.

Friday June 6 2014- A near perfect evening.  Launched out of Wenona at about 5:30 pm to catch the scheduled 9 PM high tide.  Wide was 5-10 out of the west, water temp was low 70’s.  My desire was to catch some rock and speckled trout in shallow water.  So, I started on the west side of the channel north of buoy 12, drifting different depths.  I found some croaker hook-ups in 23-25 ft of water, most around 10 inches but one at 14 (yay!).  They seemed to be non-existent anywhere else at this time.

At around 7:30 I motored over to the northern tip of South Marsh Island.  My thought was, place myself on the north edge of the island as near to shore as possible, where the bait fish might be seeking a reprieve from the incoming tide.  I had not fished this area before, so I cautiously approached but found 5 feet of water all the way up to 25-30 yards away from shore, which is where I anchored.  It was simply beautiful here, nothing but me and the birds.  I cast soft crab and squid at every angle from the boat.  My first fish was a nice 12” croaker, and then the rays showed up.  Not the smaller skate, these were the large cow-nosed rays and appeared to be here mating in shallow water.  So, I wasn’t surprised when the action remained somewhat sparse.  I did manage to avoid hanging one of these monsters, which would have been a real problem fishing solo and in shallow water.  I caught a few more decent hardhead, putting 7 total in the cooler.  Also, I caught one nice rockfish at about 16.5 inches.  Of course I released it,…… I called it a night at 9pm since dark was approaching, and I had to cross the crab pot infested sound solo.  I wish now I had stayed just a little bit longer, but then again I often feel like that after I have completed my fishing venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment