Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Still catching fish- August 9-10, 2019

Got two fishing trips in over the weekend, but neither turned out as planned.  Sometimes you just have to roll with it.

Friday 8/9 we were supposed to take a charter to the Target Ship and night fish.  Unfortunately, the captain cancelled at 3PM due to weather.  Not to be dissuaded, we launched out of Scott's Cove in Dan's boat (Mark and Artie included). Storms were indeed popping up everywhere upon launch, and we made a safe play straight up to catch the first part of the incoming tide on the east side of South Marsh Island.  The little creek exiting the island and flowing south to north produced rockfish, but they were indeed small, not what we were after.

After the immediate local threat of thunderstorms had passed (we were checking radar, comparing it to the skies), we made a major move to Holland Island to fish some really shallow water.  Not my choice of locales, but as a passenger I went with it just the same.  Our next and final major move brought us back to the south side of Spring Island, which lies just ENE of Holland Island.  There is a cut which divides the island in half, and we focused on the south sides of this cut.  And here is where we picked up 3 keeper rockfish, and one keeper speckled trout.  I've gotta come back here again, I need to explore it deeper, especially to see if that cut has any depth to it.




Saturday was another day full of surprises.  I had to be back at the ramp at 530 in order to meet my wife- we were attending a birthday party at 6pm.  Mark, Dana, and I intended to launch Wenona at 2PM sharp, head to my secret hotspot, load up on rock, and roll out.  Well, we encountered an obstacle which I'm not going to go into, except that it delayed our launch a painful 45 minutes, which likely cost us the sweet part of the outgoing tide.  When we finally got there (my boat), the tide was barely moving, hadn't flipped yet.  If you've been following my blog this summer, this place is completely tide-dependent, and sometimes the bite only lasts 30 minutes.  So, we missed that part.  On the other end, I had already declared that we had a hard stop at 5PM, and not wanting to break my promise to wifey, held to it.  And as you probably could guess, the bite was just turning on as we packed up to leave.  Heartbroken, I pulled anchor while the fish were full-on biting.  We caught a lot of fish in our short time there, but no keepers EXCEPT for 5 10" croakers, which I know will make my daughter happy (croaker is the only fish she will eat).  

Until next time, this is #dealislandrandy

No comments:

Post a Comment