Pages

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Crossing an item off my bucket list- Spring Gobbler, 2017

In 2013 I decided to finally try my hand at turkey hunting.  Unlike deer hunting, this is not a sport that I had opportunity to learn from my friends.  Rather, it was sort of "figure it out as you go along". I already had the basic tools. A box call my Dad had given me years before. A full camo 12 gauge Remington shotgun I had actually won by raffle. And some camo clothes.  However, I didn't understand turkey's behavior where to find them, or how to call them in to get a close shot.  This all slowly began to change through the next several years.  I began reading on-line about turkey hunting, reading articles, watching videos.  I also spend some time in the woods, under the guise of turkey hunting but hardly any threat to our local turkey population, even with a loaded shotgun.  My wife thought I was out doing anything but turkey hunting, when actually- I was trying. And I was definitely learning.

Things really opened up for me this year. It finally started to click in terms of habitat, and I made some changes to at least put myself in good proximity to turkeys, and lots of them.  First day of the January 3-day season, I managed to call another hunter right up to me. Scary thought actually, both of us armed and wearing full camo, and he didn't even see me. However, I realized I was getting better with my calling. Second day of January season, I repositioned to a more remote area, and this time managed to call some birds in to about 125 yards out- out of range but now I was hooked.

Spring season rolled around, and I got out once in April for two days.  This time I saw birds both days, and both times it was two hens and a gobbler. But again I was not able to coax them in close enough for a shot.  Then the magic day arrived- May 12.  I got out into the woods plenty early- 5:10 AM and was surprised to see the day already breaking from night.  I hastily made my way to my spot- about a 1/4 mile from where I parked. Almost immediately I was hearing gobblers in front of me, behind me, and to my left. I'm working the call pretty hard.  At 0645, I spot 2 hens and a gobbler probably 350-400 yards away- I had to see them through binoculars to know there was a gobbler in the threesome. Was it the same threesome I saw in April? Maybe,... I continued to watch these birds for the next hour and a half, and then suddenly something changed.  The hens started running my way in response to the yelp calls I was offering.  And they were yelping back as they ran, with the gobbler hot on their trail.  I kept calling, mixing in some clucks with the yelping.  And they continued right at me.  Finally, the hens are within 50 yards with the gobbler about 15-20 yards behind them, and I start to mentally prepare to take the shot.  I was in my gillie suit and pretty well camouflaged, plus I was hiding behind a small cedar tree, sitting on my camo bucket.  I knew that I would have to break my mannequin-like motionlessness, stand up and almost instantly sling some #4-shot lead at the gobbler. The hens continued closing in until they were literally 10 yards away, with the gobbler 15 yards behind them.  They were so close and I was so amped up, I knew I was shaking.  And then it happened,... It had to happen right there, not a moment sooner or later.  I stood up and raised my shotgun, previously resting in my lap but already with the safety switched off. As soon as I had the front sight on the gobbler's head, which didn't take but a split second, I pulled the trigger, and BAM! The gobbler started thrashing all around, and 10 seconds later it was all over.  I had dreamed of this moment for years, even before I started turkey hunting.  It was a great feeling, and one certainly worthy of being on my bucket list.  



Mr. Gobbler was huge.  I didn't get a weight, but he was quite a load to carry in one hand on my way back to the truck.  I can say that he had an 11 1/2 beard (which is pretty long), and a sharp spur measuring 13/16".  I think I'm hooked, and I can;t wait until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment