Pages

Monday, August 10, 2015

July 31, 2015- Fishing with the Homecoming Queen

I came home from work on a Tuesday and found my daughter waiting for me in my family room.  The remarkable thing here was that I had not seen her in 5 months and she was supposed to be in Hawaii.  What a surprise- Kara snuck a trip home for a one week visit and kept it hidden from us.  So, aside from demanding to eat croaker while she was home, another thing at the top of her to-do list was to fish with dear old Dad.  Since I was already planning to fish, I was happy to oblige.

We launched at 4pm on a very sultry and clear afternoon, catching the last half of the outgoing tide.  Not one to counter what has been working since middle of June, I took us to the west side of the channel in Tangier Sound, about one mile north of buoy 12 off Wenona.  After a few drifts, we quickly found our groove.  The 10 mph SW wind pushed us just right across the 36-46 foot ledge that was working for us.  And another familiar sight- charter boats anchored near us in 60 feet, only to re-locate after the spotted us whacking the croaker.  We kept this up for a couple of hours until Kara’s arms hurt from reeling and the fishing finally slowed down.  These were probably the nicest fish of the summer, with many in the 12-13 inch range.  Kara was also quite proud of her doubleheader (see pic).









Next day was not really worth mentioning.  After putting 23 nice fish in the cooler the day before, the lack of wind and 93-degree temps conspired to drain me of energy and enthusiasm, and I called it quits after only a short time. As I was fishing solo, the decision was unanimous.


I don’t know when I’ll get to fish with my daughter again, but the time was priceless and easily the best day of the year so far,….. I hope she comes home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment