Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Finally, good weather, good fishing- Aug 2-3, 2013

Friday August 2- it was warm and sunny, but a nice 5-10 mph SW breeze made for nice calm 1 ft waves.  Launched at 3PM to catch the 5:15 low tide.  Based on reports from the week before, targeted deeper water than I usually fish.  And, that's where they were.  Used both squid and soft crabs at the same time.  In 2 hours time, I put 25 hardhead in the cooler, reaching my legal limit.  By 6 I had the boat on th trailer headed back to the camper.  The fish were caught just WSW of buoy 12, in 56-64 ft of water.  Outside of these depths, the fish quit.  The throwback ratio was much less than the rest of the summer, with probably 5 keepers to each throwback.  However, upon filleting them, I had to ask my self why I had kept a few of those fish.  Maybe I was hungry,...

Next day, I launched at 4PM with one of my Deal Island neighbors, Mark.  We were targeting the 6:15 tide change.  The direct sun and heat of the day had just given way to overcast and a welcome cold front.  and fortunately, the accompanying wind didn't show up until the next day.  We went to the same general area but took the lead of one of the party boats and stayed more shallow.  Cooler air and water temps (80.5F) suggested this to be a good idea.  And right away, I started catching some nicer fish (10-13").  Bait was soft crabs only.  We didn't fish too long, and I put 8 in the cooler, while Mark added two.  Things tailed off as the tide slacked.  I always enjoy schooling my fishing partners.  I think the difference is attributable in part to the sensitivity of the 6ft Ugly Stick strung with 30 lb Spider Wire.  I also like the 2/0 top hook with the #2 flounder hook on the bottom.  But, what do I know??  Anyway, finally starting to put some fish in the freezer. But without my croaker eating partner daughter Kara around this year (going to WVU), who is going to help me eat these fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment