Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

June 22, 2013- Mixing it up

I've been hearing reports for the last 3 years of speckled trout caught right off the banks of Little Deal Island, and reports of larger ones lately, so time to give it a try.  Besides, the fishing in Tangier Sound has been so ordinary lately that it was time to try something new.  Also, stiff SW winds made it pretty choppy in the main sound.  as

I anchored probably 75 yards off the island, in about 4-5 feet of water.  Winds were out of the SW at a good steady 20 knots, so a little choppy and the water a little dirty.  Made casts toward the bank on the island, tossing my bottom rig about 50 yards.  Soft crab was reported to be the ticket for bait, so that's what I used, and mixed in a little bit of squid as the crab didn't stay on long.  Started catching fish right away at 7 PM (storms kept me off the water earlier).  It began with large croaker, mixed in with some of their smaller brethren.  Then a couple of 15-16 inch rockfish, which gave me a nice little battle on my light tackle. Then my first speckled trout, which came in right at 14 inches and into the cooler.  Right at the (low) tide change at 8:40 things really picked up, and I caught a 20-inch speckled trout which gave me the best fight of the night.  Things finally slowed up at about 9:15 PM, at which point I called it quits as darkness was setting in.

The next morning, I continued the same game at 7AM, capturing the low tide at 9:30 AM.  No trout today but a nice 18 inch rockfish broke up the pattern of repeating croaker.  After the tide change I moved out to deep water and caught a couple of keepers.  Total tally for two days- 19 fish in the cooler.  Conclusion- I will return to this shallow water bank fishing in quest for some more trout.  Besides, I had forgotten just how spectacular the trout taste. Taking next weekend off for family stuff and prevailing stormy weather, but back after the 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment