Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

A LOT has happened since my last post.

A LOT has happened since my last post.  Once again, I had bad fuel in the tank, 20 gallons of it.  Had to pump it all out and start over.  This delayed me a couple of weeks but fortunately didn't really cost me anything nor did it leave me stranded, like last year.  New battery was also part of the solution.

About the time I got the boat straightened out and ready to fish, I got a phone call that a long-awaited spot in a specific assisted living facility was now becoming available for my Dad.  You see, Dad has alzeheimer's and is no longer able to live alone, un-assisted.  So, my siblings and I made the move in late April and Dad was moved to his new home.  This step necessitated selling his house, so the next 3 weeks have been consumed with working on the house that he has lived in for the last 49 years, getting it ready for market.  Everything is in place, for now, so this past weekend I finally got my boat in the water and caught some fish.

Caught the high tide on Friday, May 11.  It was pretty windy, blowing out of the NW, so I had to work with the wind and tide.  But fishing alone, I could easily maneuver two rods.  The water temp was 66F, the air temp about 72F.  I knew that the fish had no reason to be in deep water, so I set up my drifts starting in about 12 feet of water.  Things started off slow, but as it became late in the incoming tide, the fish turned on.  I caught 16 in all before it got too windy and I called it quits.  Most were 12-13.5 inches.  Shame because it would have been a beautiful evening to try and catch a black drum.  Interesting tidbit- the fish were only interested in soft crab.  Neither squid or shrimp seemed to interest them at all.  Early season croaker are usually not so picky, but then again, they probably showed up in part for the soft crab run, which was in full steam.  That's why I set up my drifts to start among the crab pots- because thats where the fish were.  Until next time, which I hope is soon,....

No comments:

Post a Comment