Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Vacation and a different scene- lower Chesapeake


It’s always nice to try something different from time-to-time.  And so, I capitalized on the opportunity during our family summer vacation to explore some new fishing grounds.  Our “camping” trip (air-conditioned cabin) at Cherrystone, on the southern tip of Virginia’s eastern shore provided a seeming excellent launching pad.  We were basically right on the Chesapeake, and only a few miles also from the Atlantic.  My plan was to launch out of the Cherrystone boat ramp either 2 or 3 days, depending on conditions and on whatever else we had going on.  Launch #1 came on Monday August 8, later in the afternoon.  Conditions were near perfect- approaching peak high tide at about 5:30 pm, and with 1-2 ft waves out of the Southeast.  Departed the harbor, which is bordered on the other side by the lovely Cape Charles, and headed south.  The channel is pretty focused but well marked, and we stuck to it all the way past the south end of Cape Charles.  Following a pretty decent marine depth chart I had picked up at the campground, I then headed southwest an addition 3+ miles to a reef which stuck up out of the water, so it was quite obvious.  Most water was 10-20 ft all the way out.  Just pas the reef, it tapered down to 120 ft, although I never explored past 60 ft.  We drifted in various depths and offered squid, shrimp, and clam (recommended by the local guy at the Cherrystone tackle shop) as bottom-fare.  The bites were frequent and plenty, just small.  Caught probably a dozen Kingfish, none were big enough to mess with.  The nature scene was more engaging than the fishing however.  We were surrounded by dolphins surfacing on a number of occasions, so close you could hear and see the spray from their exhale-blows.  Another really cool sight was that of skates (or small rays) swimming at the surface-in a FORMATION!  This was so cool, I was so amazed I forgot to take out the camera and capture it.  They swam in a wedge, just like geese flying. 

Launch #2 came two days later, only this time headed north after exiting the Cherrystone harbor and clearing the channel markers (careful, shallow water at 4.5 ft on a high tide).  Again conditions were right as we headed to another reef at buoy 36A, seemingly popular with other fishermen (and one solo fisherwoman who impressed me).  I’m not sure what the structural draw was at this location but there were 8 or 9 other boats fishing it, drifting and then re-setting to cover the same small piece of water.  More small fish, only this time it was croaker and sea bass.  I really came away disappointed at the quality of fishing in this part of the Bay, as I somehow had a preconceived notion that it would be really great.  However, the owner of the tackle shop at Cape Charles confirmed that there was little if any action in this region of the Chesapeake right now.  My only other observation to share was that of the water- which was much clearer and cleaner (“blue-er”) here than farther north in Tangier Sound.  Also, it seemed to roll more like ocean water, rather than the familiar “Chesapeake Chop”.

I did have opportunity to scout some other areas while down at Cherrystone.  Directly east and on the coast inside the barrier islands was the “town” of Oyster.  There was a public launch there at which were parked probably 50+ boat trailers, so I assume SOMETHING was going on out there.  From what I had read, navigating these back waters was pretty tricky due to shifting channels and it was advised to follow someone local.  The only thing that really kept me from doing this was that I had no idea it was so heavily fished.  Next trip, this will be my first launching point.  Flounder are reported to be thick here (I really need to develop my flounder skills anyhow) and tarpon up to 80 lbs are also caught.  Another launch I got to look at was at Virginia Landing Campground, south of Quimby and 40 minutes from Cherrystone.  My friends Loran and Pam camp there and we have been trying unsuccessfully so far to rendezvous.  Again, tricky water but very little fishing pressure is almost irresistible.  Croaker show up there thick for just a couple of weeks, and they were there this week.  Note to self- return there mid-August in the future.  Last place I laid eyes on that I want to chronicle was the wildlife refuge at the south end of the peninsula, just before the bay-bridge tunnel.  Fee to launch, but oh how spectacular it looked.  Dumped into an east-west trough called The Ditch, which separated it from an uninhabited island to the south.  One exit came out on the Chesapeake, the other the Atlantic.  The reports of this area are that it is top-notch, and I intend to make it launch #2 next time down to Cherrystone.  A final note to self- the naturalist at the refuge gave is great detail about the launching ramp at Kiptopeke State Park.  There are sunken concrete ships that serve as reefs, just off the launch- and which hold tautog and spadefish, 2 species I’d like to get to know better (I have caught Tautog off Ocean City but that either involves hugging the jetties or anchoring over sunken reefs, neither of which are practical for my rig).  Until next time,… which is actually only a couple of days away- and back to Tangier Sound.  Hoping for calm waters so I can cover some ground and burn off some gas, but it isn’t looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment