Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fishing (attempt), 7/21/11

I've always wondered what the high temperature limit is on bottom fishing in Tangier Sound, and I think I have now discovered it- 100F.  Debated all week about whether or not to brave the heat, projected at 99+F.  I also realized the functional limit of my camper's A/C.  And I also realized what clinical heat exhaustion feels like.  So, after conquering the A/C, installing a new water heater, and beating heat stroke, I finally launched the boat out of the north harbor at Deal ISland at 7pm, a mere 1/2 hour before high tide.  Had hoped to get out by 5pm but no dice tonite.  Took a quick trip back to Laws Thorofare, anchored, and caught one nice hardhead and one skate before deciding to relocate at 8:15.  Surface water temp = 92.5F- OUCH!! Boogied out into the Sound as the sun was setting and drifted at different depths from 25-45 ft after the crab-pot line drop off at 15 ft, but nothing biting on this muddy bottom despite showing many fish on the depth finder.  Nothing to brag about this trip, and doubtful I will ever attempt to fish again in heat that extreme.


Oh Yeah, fell off a ladder working on the camper- long story.  After hitting the ground, my first concern was whether or not anyone saw me.  Second concern was whether or not I broke any bones.  Two days later I am still extremely sore, but able to laugh about it,... sort of.  Next trip- July 27-28.  Time is running short and summer is disappearing like sand running through my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment